The deep tissue massage therapy is the same as Swedish massage. However, it applies deeper pressure to help relieve chronic muscle tension. The idea is to reach the muscle tissue and tendons as well as muscles surrounding your joints and bones.
Even though it is similar to Swedish massage in terms of relaxation, the latter uses light pressure. Whereas deep tissue massage applies finger pressure with strokes that are slow and firm. When done regularly, this massage can offer plenty of therapeutic benefits that can treat many different conditions. This type of massage is perfect for treatment of muscle groups such as necks, joints, lower back etc. It is also helpful in releasing strain as well as treating injuries in your tendons and joints.
What does it do?
Deep tissue massage is offered to provide therapy and rehabilitation to your tensed muscles. It is not meant for relaxation. The fact that you feel relaxed after it is an added bonus! Therefore, you need to prepare yourself for discomfort caused due to deep tissue massage that may stay for a while even after the massage is done. You will have to lie face down or on your back as the therapist applies pressure on your problem areas.
You may experience some pain as the masseuse massages the deep-settled tension from your muscles. The pain occurs due to use of pressure against the muscles and not with them. However, if you experience unbearable pain, then don’t forget to inform the therapist. The best way to make the most of your deep tissue massage is to relax yourself and trust the massage expert to fix your muscles. This is the reason you should only trust a certified therapist, especially the ones who are experts of deep tissue massage.
Some of the most common health benefits of deep tissue massage include:
- Lowering of high blood pressure
- Treatment of back pain
- Alleviation of arthritis pain and symptoms
- Natural treatment for stress
- Rehabilitation of stressed muscles
- Increase in joint mobility
- Reduction in chronic pain
- Break down of scar tissue
Some precautionary measures
As is with any medical or body related procedures, they all come with their own levels of risk. Even though this massage is very therapeutic, there are a few things you need to remember:
- Of you have been diagnosed with blood clots, then you must avoid getting this massage as it may dislodge the clots. You should discuss with your doctor before booking an appointment for deep tissue massage. Understand the risks before signing up for it.
- If you have recently had a chemotherapy, radiation, or any other medical condition, then you need to avoid this massage.
- Osteoporosis patients must also refrain from getting deep tissue massage.
Remember to speak with your doctor once before booking an appointment. It is extremely crucial to involve your doctor if you want to evade the potential risks.